Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Greetings, Mes Amis

Or as Paula Deen would say, "Hey Y'all!"

I hope everyone had a Wonderful Easter.

We went to my parent's house, up in the North Georgia Mountains, where my Dad is from originally, and where I spent my summers as a kid with my Grandmother...and great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

The weather was gorgeous, and Mom made a nice dinner of ham, biscuts, potato salad, and a broccoli casserole that even I liked, and I don't usually like green veggies.


I asked Mom for the recipe because I have a good many bags of Birds Eye Broccoli in my freezer from all the Publix 50% off/Free-after-coupon sales.
Thought I would share it with y'all, in case you have broccoli to use up, too.

Ingredients:
1 bag Broccoli florets
1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonaisse
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 egg
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Cook broccoli (Steam in microwave according to directions on pkg.)

In retangle baking dish, mix all other ingrediants together and add broccoli; mix all up together.

Toast 3 pieces of bread and crumble into bread crumbs over the top (or use Progresso bread crumbs).
Top with more shredded cheddar cheese and a few pats or teaspoons of butter.

Bake at 350* for 25 minutes or until browned.

4 comments:

Quentella said...

This is my favorite casserole! I do mine a little different though. I add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chopped onion. I use cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom. And use Ritz crackers on top instead of bread crumbs.

Melissa said...

Cool. I don't think I even knew they made Cream of Celery soup, lol.
I'll have to try your version with the Ritz Crackers. Lawd knows I have alot of Ritz Crackers to use up, too.
You crumble them up, right?

Funny how the same recipe can use different ingredients. I can't cook like that, I have to follow a recipe like I see it, and if I'm out of an ingredient, forget it.
My husband can, though. He'll throw any number of different things in. He don't tell us what he put in until after we ate it, lol.

Quentella said...

They have so many varieties of cream soup. I always keep cream of celery, chicken,mushroom & broccoli in my stockpile, because a lot of casserole recipes call for those.

Yes, you crumble the Ritz. I've seen several variations of this recipe. But have only tried the cream of celery one, because that's what my mom always made.

A husband that cooks is always a plus! My husbands idea of cooking is heating chicken nuggets, fish sticks & pizza in the oven. LOL

Melissa said...

I cook like your husband, LOL