Sunday, December 28, 2014

Applesauce-Cinnamon Christmas Tree Ornaments

So last year I was looking for a little prezzie for my son, R's, co-workers at 911 Dispatch.
I ended up coming up with these Snow(wo)men Ornament Ball dispatchers.

I didn't think I was going to be able to come up with anything this year, but eventually an/some idea(s) came together, and I created these Applesauce-Cinnamon Gingerbread 911 Dispatcher.


I started out using 1 cup of cinnamon, 1 cup of applesauce, and 2 tablespoons of white glue. My mixture was too dry, so I added another tablespoon-glallup of applesauce.

I used homemade applesauce I had made and canned from apples my Dad gave me from his orchard, but you can get a jar of applesauce at the Dollar Tree, along with the container of Ground Cinnamon.
The glue also came from the Dollar Tree.


Mixed the cinnamon, applesauce and glue in a bowl. Used a spoon at first, but when it became a 'dough' I ended up having to use my hands and knead it.

Which is why there's no picture of me rolling and cutting the gingerbread men out.


I put the gingerbread men ornaments on wire racks on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on 200* for an hour. Then I flipped them over and let them dry for another hour.

*If you want to make holes in the ornaments for a hanging ribbon, use a toothpick or straw while they're still wet. I decided to just glue a loop on the backside.
(Because I forgot to make the hole first, lol!)


I "iced" it with puffy paint, and hot glued the "head set" on.

For the head set I used some miniature wire candy canes and mini pom-poms I had in my craft stash.


I had some "gingerbread dough" leftover so I cut out some other shapes from other cookie cutters,


And hung them on my little red tinsel tree.



No comments: