Saturday, December 27, 2014

Putz/Glitter House: Church & Fire Station

Generally, I make one Putz/Glitter house/building at a time, but when I made the Putz/Glitter church, I had decided to make three at one time.


I think I might have had an idea of making extras to sell in my Etsy shop, but then I didn't love the way they turned out, or something.

Anyway, I ended up gifting them to my Aunts for Christmas.

I held onto these as pictured for a long time, because I couldn't find, or didn't really know what I wanted to embellish them with.

Eventually I decided on a Tree and some People figurines from the Dollar Tree Village sets.

The small Trees I had were a Tree-Green, a suitable color for Trees, but didn't really seem to go with the White and Pink of the Church too well IMO.


I had read that you could Bleach the Trees, so I gave that a try.
I just poured Bleach into a jar and swished the tree around with tongs until the Green disappeared.


Bleached Tree.


Then I used Food Coloring to dye the Trees (what is supposed to be) Turquoise and Pink.
They look more green and orange. But oh well, better than the dark Green they were previously.
My Aunts (said they) Loved them.


I had been wanting to make a Putz/Glitter Firehouse, but had trouble locating a pattern (I can't make the patterns myself...no good with measurements).
I had been working on converting another building into a firehouse, but it wasn't going too well, so finally I decided to take a chance and email the gentleman at the Glitter House site, even though there hadn't been any new patterns posted in a couple of years.

Very awesomely, he answered right back, and soon after that emailed me his pattern for the firehouse he'd created.


Instead of paint, for this one I printed out a Brick pattern and glued it on.


I was afraid Glittering it wouldn't look right, kind of like the Log Cabin, where the glitter hid a lot of the "log siding" detail, so I decided to use "Snow" instead.
I think I should have used a smaller sized Snow, but oh well, it doesn't look too bad.

The Beginning of my 'Cereal Box Village'...


No comments: