Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Thrifty Finds

I had to go to the store for some grocery items and decided to venture into some of the local Dollar and Thrift stores and check out the new stock.

Old stock is on sale at Dollar General, 70% off Summer time items.
I bought these plastic terra cotta pots for 30¢ per 2-pack, so 15¢ each pot.


I found these items at one of the thrift stores.

(2) Scrabble games. I don't know if all the pieces are in them, but it didn't matter because I was particularly buying them to make Pinterest crafts with the letters that are in them.
Got both games for $1.00 (50¢ each).

The fire-hydrant-ashtray was 25¢.
The fire hydrant first caught my attention because, firefighter family, but then I noticed that it was an ashtray, rather than a knick-knack dish or whatever.

As smoking/cigarettes are slowly being phased out, I predict that one day ashtrays will be one of those "things of the past" no one has anymore, like manual typewriters, dial telephones, or those little figurines that changed colors with the weather.

I haven't been going out of my way to collect ashtrays, but I'm hanging on to the ones I end up with.


The little pink dish was also only 25¢.
I didn't know what it was - if it was anything at all - but it looked like something, so I decided to take the chance.

The writing on the bottom was hard to read, even for my eagle-eyed kid, but a bit of googling told us that it's Cemar, a California-based pottery business ca. 1935-1950's.

Cemar items sell for quite a bit more than 25¢ on eBay.


No comments: