Saturday, September 3, 2011

Non-Coupon Shopping


Even without coupons you can save on your grocery bill by following the sales, and stockpiling at extra good prices.

Our local IGA grocery store was having a Buy 10, Get $5 Mega sale this week. One of the items was Hunt's Manwich sauce, which usually costs about $1.29 a can.  For this sale, they were on sale for $0.99, and buy 10, get $5, so a final price of .49 a can. 

The last times I bought/stocked up on Manwich was back in June 2010, when Food Lion had it for $1.00 a can, and there was a $1.50/2 FLip coupon, making them .25 a can.
I haven't seen a FLip in so long, I'm not sure they even have them anymore.
Anyway, I don't believe I'll beat a .49 price at this point. So I stocked up with 20 cans. That'll last us five to six months at our rate of usage.

They also had VC's Pork & Beans for .50 a can which is a Buy price, and 10lb bag of Potatoes for $3.99.
Extra lean ground beef was $1.99lb.

Milk wasn't on sale, but was only about a dime more than at Walmart, and I probably saved the dime not driving up the road to Walmart and having to get out again.

Final total $24.and change including tax.
Savings (TBA)

Meat Loaf Muffins Recipe
In addition to Manwich-sandwiches, I use Manwich sauce in my meat loaf recipe.
Baking meat loaf in a muffin tin, for some reason, makes them come out alot less greasy than when I used a glass or loaf pan.
These are delicious and so frickin' easy to cook.

1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup oatmeal
1 egg
1 can Manwich sauce

Saving some of the Manwich sauce to spoon over the tops of the muffins, mix the remaining ingrediants together.  Spoon Manwich sauce over the tops of the muffins, and bake at 350* for 25 - 30 minutes.

No comments: