Monday, January 13, 2014

Walgreens - Last Week

I did not do well at Walgreens last week. Holy mackeral, you would have thought I was a complete Wags newby.

First off, I've never shopped with the Balance Rewards points before. Wasn't interested, didn't want anything to do with trying to manage those on top of everything else. Wags was hard enough to shop as it was.

But I've been doing okay with the Sears/Kmart Shop Your Way Rewards points, so I told myself I was being a wuss not tackling the Wags point system.

I was doing some last minute CVS shops Saturday, and figured I throw a Walgreens shop in there just for the challenge of it. 

I had printed off a list of several scenarios from Wild For Wags to help me out.
Of course a lot of the things I was looking for was out of stock, being the last day of the sale, and also I had the Windex and Gevalia coffee, and possibly the Slim-Fast bars that weren't part of the original lists.
So I tried to improvise.
Except, I didn't know that if you use points on items that earn points, you don't get the points for those items.

I had worked out my scenarios and didn't want to try to go back and do it all over again, so I said, to heck with it, ring it up together and I'll figure out a better way to spend my RR's and Balance Rewards next week.

I only did (2) Windex in the first deal, in case I didn't get back both the RR and Catalina some of the others were getting (plus you can't get two of the same RRs in a deal, so I knew that).
I did get them, so I went back and did a 2nd transaction of Windex and Slim-Fast bars. (The Slim-Fast didn't give RR's or Rewards, I forget why I was buying them separately.)


The Windex was 2/$6 - $1/2 IP coupon, and I got back $1.50 RR and $1.50 Catalina coupon, and 1,000 Balance Rewards, making the final cost 50¢ each.

Slim-Fast bars were on sale for $2.99 - $5/2 IP coupon = 49¢ each

AZO Urinary stuff $6.00, get $6.00 RR = Free

Carmex 4/$4 - (2) $1/2 RP 1/05, get 1,000 Balance Rewards = 25¢ each

Gevalia 12 ct. K-cups $5.99 - $1.50 IP, get 1,000 Balance Rewards = $3.49, or 29¢ a cup

The Icicles were clearanced for 24¢, I needed a filler item.

Speaking of clearanced....


I almost never do this, and I almost didn't this time...I had those larger size glass ball ornaments in the buggy, but then put them back, and the Hallmark Santa Toy Town in my hand, but I managed to resist.

Until I found the Turquoise Tinsel Tree, and it was only $1.99, and that was all she wrote.

I love, love, love, love tinsel trees.
I have about a 6-inch and about a 12-inch silver tinsel tree (wish I had the 5 or 6 foot my Aunt used to have back in the 70's). And, pretty recently, I love (the color) turquoise.

To top it off, back in the Summer we were yard-sale-shopping and one place had some Vintage Christmas items that I loved and wanted, but talked myself out of. 
I still regret that a lot.

So when I saw this turquoise tinsel tree - for $1.99 - there was no way in hell I was passing it up to regret for the rest of my life (or for as long as I remembered about it).
Then I saw there was another turquoise tinsel tree, and two is even better than one. Then I saw the silver one and I had to have it to go with my silver tinsel tree collection.
There was also a green tinsel tree but I didn't really like it.

After that I said, to heck with it, I'm getting the ball ornaments ($1.49). I have like maybe one or two glass ball ornaments that have the glittery writing on them. Then I decided to get a box of the small glass ball ornaments ($1.49) to decorate the silver tinsel tree.

While I was on a roll I looked at the Hallmark things again. I'm not sure what they're called, but they join together, light up, play music, and the characters dance. They were originally $16.95, and I thought they were marked down to $4.99, but turned out I was looking at the wrong price tag.
These were actually $4.23,so I said, to heck with it, I'm getting them.

All together these things cost me $21.64, down from their original price of $86.80, so I'm calling that a darn good deal.

No comments: