Monday, October 19, 2009

Rite Aid

Apparently in the midst of all my re-considerings of drug store shopping this week, my feeble brain failed to comprehend that Rite Aid is a whole different ballgame. When you "roll-up" at Rite Aid, you get cash back, as opposed to "store money".

But I guess my mind was still stuck on the theories: (1) free-after-rebate items lose you money on the tax and (2) it's really okay to spend (waste) "free" money on whatever items.

I had a $20.00 certificate for "spending" $100.00, which of course I didn't spend anything using coupons and money-makers rebates. So this $20.00 was FREE money.

So, when I planned my Rite Aid shop this week, I went for the money-maker rebate items, and decided to spend whatever was left of my $20 Rite Aid Rewards Certificate on whatever.

However, the better thing to have done here would have been to spent it all on free-after-rebate items. I would have lost a little of it on the taxes, but the rest of it I would have gotten back in the form of a rebate check I could have taken to my bank and cashed!

I bought the Nasogel, Coldcalm Pellets, and Little Allergies money-maker rebate items. Total before coupons $23.97, plus $4.49 for the cost of a box of Rice Krispies. Rice Krispies are on sale BOGO this week...1 box rings up at full price and the other 0.00, so won't be included in a $25.00 total for using the $5/$25 coupon.
After all the coupons, my mm-far items totalled $12.97.

I had a Vocalpoint coupon for a free box of Rice Krispies, so both my RKs were free in the end.

That left me with $7.03 left to spend out of my $20 certificate.
The Halloween costumes were on sale for 50% off, and there was a $3.00 coupon in the store, so I got a Pirate costume, originally priced at $24.99, for 9.99 after coupons. Or, about $3.00 oop after using the certificate.

I'm due $23.97 in SCRs for the mm-far items I bought, so still made about a $20 profit when all said and done.

4 comments:

Earthy Mama said...

I was about to make the same "mistake Saturday night when I was figuring my deals for the GOS. Then it hit me- hold it! I can turn this $20 certificate into about $35 in check. (CASH!) You still got great deals though! Who's the pirate costume for? ;)

Melissa said...

It's alot to try to keep straight, all the different stores and rebates and this and thats.

I also messed up using my $5 Zantac q at Wags instead of RA.

I need to slow down. Which is one reason I'd decided to burn off RRs and ECBs, so I'm not constantly having to worry about rolling them, instead of being able to concentrate on finding the deals.

Generally I got the costume for my middle son, who is 19. He's always liked pirates, and wanted to be one when he grew up (the olden times kind, like Jack Sparrow, not the ones now).

I don't know if he'll wear it for Halloween; he's a volunteer firefighter and they're going to be patrolling their Village that night and giving out candy at the station. He said he was going to 'dress up' as a fireman.

But even if not, he and I both are kind of Costume collectors. Not serious collectors; my deal is just more of, if I get it, I'm keeping it. I always have something available for someone who goes to the last minute before deciding they need a costume to wear.

Ryan more gathers up costumes and different kinds of clothes like that and him and his friends like to write scripts and make little video movies for YouTube.

Earthy Mama said...

ooh- i want to see some of his movies!

Melissa said...

I'll ask him for some links. Don't expect much, though, they are pretty silly, lol.